Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Blog Assignment #5

Personal Learning Networks

word collage of characteristics of personal learning networks    According to Dr. Strange, a personal learning network (PLN) is a network of people, places, activities, and organizations that enable you to learn. He points out in Developing a Personal Learning Network in EDM310 that PLNs are frequently changing as new information arises. He also makes it clear that in order to take advantage of PLNs, we must change our mindsets about teaching and learning, and adapt to the world of information we live in. The easiest way to connect to a network is through social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. Michael Fawcett reflects on similar ideas in his video PLN. When he began using a PLN in a short amount of time, he found a connection to dsicuss things that happen in the classroom, and finding tools to use in the classroom. He believes that PLNs are extremely important tools for the classroom teacher. It promotes professional development, and allows you to connect with other teachers around the world.
   PLNs can give you information on new teaching developments you have never heard of before. They are formed by connecting through social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and blogs. I began my own PLN using a Twitter account by following other educators that frequently post about their classrooms, and who blog about new ways to use technology in the classroom. The firts person I added to my PLN was my first Comment4Teacher assignment Vicki Davis, who I have found to be very resourceful through posts and tutorials.



This is a very good explanation of how Twitter can be used to develop a Personal Learning Network by Danny Maas.
Managing a Personal Learning Network Using Twitter & Hootsuite

3 comments:

  1. I agree that PLNs promote professional development. Through a PLN ,a teacher can always have access to new techniques and ideas to use in their own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think PLN are a great way to access the outside world to gain new information. I have used Twitter as well. I think I'll add my C4T teacher as well.

    ReplyDelete