Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Practice Blog Post

Outline
1. Who I am
  a. My name
  b. Where I am from
2. Interests
3. Schools I've attended
  a. Why I chose South
4. My major
  a. Why I chose that major

   My name is Eva Mareno. I currently live in Grand Bay, AL. I am originally from Venice, LA, which is south of New Orleans at the tip of the boot that makes up the shape of Louisiana. It was a flourishing community until Hurricane Katrina destroyed everything; that's why I moved to Grand Bay. My interests include sports and music. I played competitive golf and softball in high school. Our high school golf team finished third in the state my senior year. I also played competitive golf my freshman year of college at Spring Hill College. I play the keyboard and sing in my spare time. Recently, I helped a church in Louisiana record a worship album. We had a great time recording it.
River of Life Ministries Worship: Set Free Album Cover


   I have attended several schools in my college career. As I stated before, my freshman year of college I played golf at Spring Hill College. My sophomore year, I attended Southeastern Louisiana University. Finally, I came back to Mobile and chose the University of South Alabama. I chose this university because it is affordable, and is known for having an excellent education department. Although the institutions have changed over the past three years, my major has not. I decided when I was in high school that I wanted to become a math teacher, so I entered college in pursuit of a degree in Secondary Education with a concentration in mathematics. I love math. I love learning math, and I love teaching math. I also love being around students. I am active in youth ministry at my church, and have always wanted to help make a difference in students' lives. I feel that if I can inspire at least one student to reach their full potential with their education, they will have confidence to accomplish their goals in life, and I will have fulfilled my calling. Needless to say, I am extremely excited to become a teacher one day.

4 comments:

  1. First thing I take into consideration is your profession choice, not the education part but the math. I have to say if I ever have a problem I will be coming to you for help! I haven't met too many math majors in my education courses but I can't wait to talk in class! I also find I can relate somewhat to your Katrina incident. First off, I want to apologize but say that I'm glad you are well now. My grandparents used to live in Covington and were affected as well. I believe that was the result of their move as well. Also, one more thing I wanted to say was how I admire your goal of at least reaching out to one student and wanting them to succeed. I think that is a great goal and I can see many more successes in your future! I enjoyed learning a bit about you and I can't wait to meet in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need some great math teachers in the schools today. One of our other lab assistants is a math major as well and is about to begin her student teaching. Mackenzie would be a great person to talk to if you have any questions about teaching math. Welcome to EDM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a math class last semester with Mackenzie. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Eva,

    I really admire you for majoring in math. From reading your blog, I can tell that you are very talented. I hope that you are very successful in your future endeavors.Welcome to EDM 310.

    ReplyDelete